Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Thursday 25 September 2014

Charlene's Grandmother's Flower Garden

This is Charlene's Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt. I had never done one of these before, and I must confess to be very nervous about doing it. Charlene is always very trusting about what I do to her quilts. For this one, she said "do something to keep the feel of the time period of the pattern and fabrics", or something to that effect. Of course, my first thought  was feathers.... I love doing feathers, and they seem to fit in most quilts, and most time periods.
I had just received a new ruler in the weeks before doing this, for doing gently curved arcs on the long arm, and I thought this would be a good time to try it out. It's actually a curved cross hatching ruler, but I didn't think curved cross hatching would fit here, but piano key quilting would. And then feathers got added to the border, using the curve as their spine. Feathers in the flowers seemed a good idea, but what to do with the pathways....... continuous curves to tie it all together. I am so very happy with the way this turned out, after all the nervousness about starting it.

8 comments:

  1. I love the quilt and the quilting looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!! Your quilting is fabulous! It must have taken you forever. My back hurts just looking at it. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply gorgeous, Cathy. I just got finished using the piano key idea for a small quilt myself. Goes fast. Your quilting is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - I love how you did the centers of the hexagon groups - an idea to file for future use. Inspired, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! The quilting on that absolutely makes the quilt! Almost makes me want to take up EPP...almost. Heh heh!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilting makes this quilt fabulous--so much more special than so many Grandma's Flower Gardens!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.