Way back in the late winter and early spring I was watching a bunch of how-to gardening videos on you-tube. What a rabbit hole that is!! Anyhow, some of them were about planting potatoes in pots rather than garden beds. We have a Kawartha dairy place that does a huge business selling ice cream and they give their empty 3 gallon tubs away for free, so I thought, why not try it. Today is harvesting day. The plant tops are yellow and dying back, which according to all those videos I watched, means that the potatoes are ready. The buckets have been sitting on the upstairs deck all summer where they got lots of sun and lots of rain. Back in the spring I bought a bag of seed potatoes. I think it may have been a 1 kg bag. Anyhow, after all the pots were emptied, this is our results. I weighed them and it came out to 10 pounds. I’d previously emptied a few more buckets which gave us enough for a meal. So our total yield was perhaps 12-15 pounds. Not that great for all the work that went into it. Each bucket was planted with a seed potato with 2 or 3 eyes on it, as recommended in the videos. Out of each bucket we averaged 2-3 good sized potatoes. So we maybe tripled what we planted. It was a fun experiment and fun to watch the plants grow. We didn’t have enough space in the raised beds to do potatoes, so the buckets were the only option. There is talk of building a few more raised beds next spring, so maybe next year we can try them in a garden bed and see if the yield is better. On the very up side, they do taste way better than store bought.
Monday 28 August 2023
Saturday 26 August 2023
I’ve gotten a little bit more done on my hymn cross stitch piece. I think I would actually have done more on it today, except that the light faded and my temporary seating place while our renovations continue doesn’t have a good lamp. And I’m too lazy to get my lamp and set it up. So daylight stitching it is.
Our local grocery store had a great deal on Roma tomatoes, 25 pounds for $8.99. We picked up 50 pounds. So far all I’ve done with them is wash them, cut the stem ends off and put them into bags into the freezer. I’ll process them into pasta sauce and salsa once we have a functioning kitchen again. In the meantime, they will be fine in the freezer. The tomato plants in our raised beds are just starting to show red on some of the tomatoes, which will get added to the freezer stash. The pasta sauce recipe I used last year was really good and has the added bonus of using 25 pounds of tomatoes at a crack. This is it here.
There isn’t anything else exciting happening here. I’ll sign off and link up to Kathy’s Slow Sunday Stitching in the morning.
Saturday 12 August 2023
I’ve made a bit more progress on my hymn cross stitch. Last time I wrote I was here.
I still have the last word which is “tree” to finish on the second line. But I wanted to move my hoop back to the left side of the piece in order to work on the bigger letters.
I’ll link up to Kathy’s Slow Sunday Stitching in the morning.
Saturday 5 August 2023
The wedding quilt that our prayers and squares group was working on is finished. We decided to have it quilted by a long armer. It turned out beautifully. We will gift it to the newly weds’ family tomorrow. There is another couple associated with our group getting married, so we have started another wedding quilt. The colours requested for this one are neutrals and burnt orange. We’ve gotten a good start on it. All of the squares with orange around the outside are done.... 49 of them. There are 50 of the squares with the grey around the outside to do. So I think there are 10 or 11 done. Once again, by insisting everyone pay close attention to their 1/4 inch seam, all the blocks are coming together nicely. We will be quilting this one in a quilt as you go fashion in rows.