Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Saturday 3 January 2015

RSC.... week 1.....

The first Saturday of the year, and the first linkup for our Rainbow Scrappy projects for the year. What I have here may not look like much, but those 3/4 inch hexies and 60 degree stars took a long time to prepare. I started out thread basting them....... took too long and too fiddly, so I've gone back to glue basting again. I find I don't mind the little tags on the stars hanging out. One of the tags will be hidden in the centre of the star, and the other one at the point I'll tuck in as I stitch. The centres lay flatter without the points tucked in. These are for the Giant Monstrosity Quilt that Charlene and I are doing. I figure the easiest way to work on this is small bits at a time. There are 81 stars and hexies in the centre section of the quilt. If I do the full 11 months of the rainbow challenge in hexies and stars, I'll need 7 or 8 of each colour, so I still need to do up one or two more blues. I'll be doing the centre of the hexies in the complementary colour to the one that's chosen for the month. So these will be getting yellow in the centres.

 And then I have my stack of 12 different blues on my sewing machine, waiting to be sewn up into little nine patches. I have all of the white cut for these that I need. The quilt needs 125 nine patches. So, again assuming that I do these over the full 11 months of the challenge, I need 11 or 12 of each colour. And actually, I'm ahead on this one, because I have some yellows already sewn up from last year. Hopefully, come next Saturday. It will look better than a couple of piles. I'm linking up to Scrap happy Saturday

11 comments:

  1. Going to be fun seeing you work on these this year. Can't wait to see it done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a quilt that will be! I look forward to your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowzers! That IS a giant monstrosity of a quilt!!! Lots of little pieces. But it looks like a lot of variety and should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is gorgeous but oh...so...much...work...but then you will also get a lot of enjoyment from it as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've set a good challenge for yourself and broken it down into workable bits. Should be spectacular when done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at you go!!! Can't wait to see continued progress. It will be fun to watch it come together!!! I love the blues, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, gosh...what a gorgeous quilt you have chosen to work on. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous organization to start out the new year right. Lovely blues.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So organized, Cathy! I invite you to link to WIPs Be Gone (a Friday post) and share this wonderful Eye Candy to build the suspense of what this block will look like. Off to some slow EPP stitching which I am going to go do right now and defrost my toes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will be fun watching your Scrappy Rainbow progress this year : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are going to have to cut a whole lot more pieces, to make that huge quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.