Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Sunday 2 June 2013

Stash Report, week 22, 2013

I was rummaging around in some boxes in the laundry room/furnace room/storage room a while back, and found a project that I started back in January as my first Newfo of the year. I'd actually listed it on my sidebar as one of the quilts I'd like to start this year. It's a 36 patch quilt, using 2 1/2 inch strips out of my bin. I've used up most of the long enough and suitable enough fabrics out of the strip bins, so this past week I started cutting into some fat quarters to add to the project. I love how fast it goes together, and how easy it is. Sometimes a girl just needs some mindless sewing and almost immediate gratification of seeing something come together quickly. The bonus, or downside, depending on how you look at it, of cutting into some fat quarters is that it has added back into the 2 1/2 inch strip bin. But that's OK, I have a few other projects in mind that they'd work perfectly in. I'm going to alternate today working on the 36 patches and Meteor Shower, and I'll get a pic in time for tomorrow's design wall Monday post.

Used this week:                                                  1.9 yards
Used this year:                                                  70.3 yards
Added this week:                                                   0 yards
Added this year:                                            131.25 yards
Balance:                                                                60.95 more added than used.
I've used up over 50% of the fabric that I've added this year, so that's good. I'm pondering adding more, though. While we were up in the Sudbury area in the middle of May, I was struck by the colours and formations in the Canadian Shield rocks, thinking that the colours would make a fabulous quilt, and that maybe a Bargello design would capture the motion and the colours in the rocks.
Wouldn't that look fabulous in the Stonehenge line of fabrics? I'm still in the thinking stage of this, and researching how to do Bargellos, and whether I should design my own, or purchase a pattern already done. This one here has caught my eye, and seems to have the correct shapes and movement.

I love the colours in this particular picture. I'd need to do some work and moving of the colour contrast, but it's a lovely inspiration starting point, with the beiges, rusts and greys, and just a hint of blue at the top.
Anyway, I'm linking up to Judy's Stash Report. Then I'm going to get something to eat, and start to do some sewing. It's a lovely day outside, so I think I'll open up all the doors and windows, and let in the air and the sounds of the birds and the breezes in the trees.



4 comments:

  1. Rock formations are compelling for quilt designs! Love the Bargello design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking fabric. I love bargellos because you never know for sure how they will look when you are creating your own, with fabric you've picked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see that quilt! Stonehenge would be my fabric choice also. I don't think you could go wrong there. And it seems to be widely available here in Ontario. I've even seen it in the wide backs too.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.