Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Sunday 4 September 2011

Stash Report Week 36



I have more stash used up this week. I finished the Rose Log Cabin and started a new project. I'm making a Batman themed quilt for my son, using the Big Quilt pattern from Maple Island quilts I had ordered 2 Batman themed fabrics from The Fat Quarter shop I'm using the red, navy and black solids where the black fabric is shown in this picture, and the Batman prints are going into the large fabric sections. I found out when I was cutting though, that I didn't have enough of the solids in the fat quarters that came with the fat quarter packs to do the whole quilt. I had wanted the quilt to be 3 squares wide and 4 squares long, which would be 4 squares from each solid fabric. I had enough for 3 squares from each. That meant I had to find something in stash to make up the 4th. I discovered that I do not do solids, not a one. I do prints and textureds, but not solids. One of the many things I love about my husband is his willingness to give his opinions on what I am working on, when I ask him. I had this green fabric in my stash, the same greens as are in the batman fabrics.
I wanted his opinion if I could get away with mixing a textured fabric in with the solids. Now, to understand my husband, he is an abstract artist, among his many hats, and he never gives just a yes or no. He looked at the fabric in question, gave a yes, and then went on to give his reason pointing out that the shapes in the green fabric, picked up and mirrored the Batman logo shapes in the fabrics. And once I looked, and I mean really looked, I could sort of see what he meant. So to cut short a very long story, the green is going in. Now, after all that, on to the numbers for this past week:

Used this week:                     3.6 yards
Used this year:                     95.6 yards
Purchased this week:                   0 yards
Purchased this year:              121.5 yards
Balance:                                  25.9 more yards in than out.

I'm almost up to 100 yards used. Wow!! When I started this stash report thing out of curiosity, I had no idea that I could use that much fabric in only 8 months. And now, I'm off to use more fabric before I go in to work this afternoon. To see how much others are using and buying, check out Judy's Patchwork Times

2 comments:

  1. The Batman quilt is going to be really cool. Your Rose Log Cabin is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels so good to finish off one quilt and then get to start another one that has been patiently (or not) waiting it's turn.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.