Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Thursday 28 April 2011

Bear Tracks progress

In the last couple of days, I've gone from thinking about starting a new quilt, to doing it, and enjoying every minute of it. I think this has to be one of my favourite blocks. It is so graphic, and has such a strong contrast to it, depending on the fabrics used for it. I have to make 4 more of these blocks, and then 28 more separate paws that end up in the final border. The I can move on to the nine patch blocks. Unfortunately, I can't do any more on it today, since I have to work this afternoon.  I'm starting a new job on May 6th. It's at the same hospital, but it is a regular part time position, rather than the casual part time that I've done for at least the past 10 years. I really liked the casual. It had a large degree of flexibility to it, since I was able to pick and choose the shifts I worked, and take time off when I wanted to, simply by saying I wasn't available. However, with the closing of one of the veterans units, the available shifts for the casual nurses has really dried up, to the point where it has lost all it's flexibility, since there aren't a lot of shifts to pick from. That's why I've been working almost exclusively weekends for at least the past year, since that is all that has been available. With this new position, I'll have a semi-regular schedule, and actually be able to work it so that I'm off at the same time as my husband. With a new baby coming into the family very soon, that is an important consideration, since we'll want to be spending as much time as possible visiting with him, and getting to know him. We've booked some vacation at the end of May, and booked a campsite at a park less than 10 minutes away from their house, so that should be fun. I hope it warms up by then, but if it doesn't, it's a hydro site, so we'll be taking electric space heaters. Should be fun. However, I'd best go get ready for work.

4 comments:

  1. Your bear tracks are beautiful. Love the colors.

    Good luck with your new work hours. It will be nice to actually have a schedule you can count on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those blocks look great and I think I may need to make some myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bear paw is one of my favorite blocks as well.
    Hope all goes well with the new position.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We like to go camping at the nearest park also. Even though it is close, it seems like we are in another world. When we pull into the park, I can feel the stress just disappear. Oooh! I am itching to go. But it seems like we have something almost every weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.