Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Saturday 21 July 2012

A little organization, please.....


One of the biggest down sides to having UFO's has to be not knowing exactly where they were left off. I've been working on my July UFO, sewing along quite nicely, until I came to a dead stop because I needed to cut more 60 degree triangles and diamonds. Yuck, I really didn't want to go through all the work of taking the 30's style fabrics out of their drawer, ironing them, cutting a strip or 2 off each, and then putting them back. And then I had one of those "Aha" light bulb moments. I have a leaders and enders project that I have been working on, but it's been languishing, since my selection of 2 inch dark squares was losing its variety. So I thought to myself, why don't I cut some 2 inch squares while I'm at it. And then I had another "Aha" moment, and realized that there are a couple of other projects I want to do, and wondered if they used the same sized strips in each. I went and dug out the books with the patterns in them and sure enough, they each use 2 1/2 inch strips. So, after spending 1 1/2 hours yesterday, and another half hour today,  that messy pile of 30's fabrics in that drawer, turned into the 60 degree triangles and diamonds that I needed, plus a whole pile of 2 inch squares for my leader and ender, and a large number of 2 1/2 inch strips. And with an added extra bonus of enough left to have a few
1 1/2 strips to add to that particular drawer, as well. That feels so much better!!
 
Now, all I have to do is get back to my UFO, and maybe even get it finished before the end of the month. I have an hour before I have to get ready for work, so I think that's what I'm going to do.

2 comments:

  1. I'm anxious to see what your projects will be with those 30's style fabrics. I have a pile of 30's fat quarters that are at least 15 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the major reasons that I have such difficulty with UFOs is trying to figure out where I left off. Even if I leave a note with the project I still feel really challenged, particularly if I still need to cut fabric. I like getting all of my cutting done at once. Good for you for getting things to work out for you.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.