Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Tuesday 18 March 2014

Kathy's Civil War Quilt

I'm still trying to get caught up with documenting quilts that I have done for clients. I'm about a month behind, now, with it.
This past January I received a very special, and exciting request from Kathy, asking if I would quilt her Civil War quilt. This was the first time that I had received a request for quilting from someone who knew me only through my blog, which made it even more exciting. We arranged a time for her to come and deliver it, and it was so lovely to meet her. We'd talked often through comments on each other blogs, but had never met face to face.
So, this is her quilt, done in lovely civil war, Barbara Brackman reproduction fabrics. They are seriously soft and smooth and oh so petable. 
 When we were discussing what kind of design she would like, I recommended that she take a browse through the designs at Digitech Designs and she decided on this pantograph called Angel Wings. At first glance on the quilt, all that is visible are the gentle curves. But on closer inspection, the angels are visible. I love the subtlety of it.


 This is the back of the quilt. She put almost as much time and thought into the back, as the front. She said she collected most of the prints from the States, I believe. There are pictures of the various presidents of the times, the flags of the States, and even a copy of the Declaration of Independence.
It was such a wonderful experience to be able to work on this quilt. Kathy blogged about finishing it here. Thanks, Kathy, for the opportunity to do this quilt. I hope we get to work together again in the future.

5 comments:

  1. This is just beautiful! Your quilting is lovely. Can I ask what type/color of thread you used for the quilting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Kathy's blog, too. Glad her quilt is in good hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks awesome! I just love it!
    Thanks again for doing such a great job on the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun...I recognized Kathy's quilt immediately!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.