Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Monday 3 March 2014

Design Wall Monday, March 3, 2014

 Here is Cactus Rose once more. She keeps showing up every now and then, and then disappears and retreats back into her box again. I'm hoping this time, to get it finished. I have designated this as March's assignment for the Lovely Year of Finishes Challenge. I'm going to say that I will get 2 more borders on this month. I'd like to think I'll get all three of the curved borders finished this month, but I don't want to put that much pressure on myself. There's too much other stuff going on these days.
This is a closer look at the piecing. The whole thing has been paper pieced and then appliqued. I've lost count of the number of times while working on this that I've decided that the men in the white coats really need to come and take me away. One of the reasons I've been putting off finishing this was lack of someplace to put it. However, I measured the walls on my studio a couple of days ago, and discovered that it will fit on a wall in there, which gives me added incentive to get it finished.
I'm linking up to Design Wall Monday and the goal setting party for A Lovely Year of Finishes

10 comments:

  1. I have never tried paper piecing, but think I want to try it sometime. I also have never seen a more beautiful quilt. When I first saw it I thought it was appliquéd....but when I enlarged your second picture I could see all those teeny tiny pieces you've sewn together. This is truly a labor of love. I can see why you'd consider the men in white coats coming for you. I can't imagine making just one block sized piece, but you've made a huge quilt, large enough it needs to be put on a wall. Please don't let the sunshine fade it. It is too gorgeous. Won't you want to snuggle with it, or is it too precious to use on a bed? Wow, is all I can say....just WOW! I hope you are able to get this completely finished, if not this month, then by end of April. It is just stunning. Will you enter it into a showing anywhere? Thanks so much for linking up with the Design wall posts, I am so privileged to have seen your hard work.
    Rae (nrhaller@aol.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT is a beauty! Do finish it that way you can enjoy it!
    (found you via Judy's site Patchworktimes)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so beautiful! Yes, please finish her up, one border at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness... this is one challenging quilt!
    No wonder it is taking a long time... those blocks look like they take a l o n g time! But so beautiful and worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's such an exquisite piece -- it really does deserve a finish and a spot on your wall!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous quilt, Cathy! Deserves to be on a bed or wall. You've done a marvelous job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your version of this quilt...getting so close!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very beautiful! That is a lot of paper piecing! Looks like the background is all piece too. Wow. It will be even more spectacular when it is finished. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember seeing this before here! I am so hoping you get it done or at least make great progress this month! It is too stunning to keep ending up back in a box!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That quilt looks very intricate.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.