Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Wednesday 17 August 2011

Work in progress Wednesday

In my travels around blog land lately, I've been noticing posts labeled Work in Progress Wednesday where people keep track of their various projects, in various categories, from actively working on, to not touched in years, or at least I have those categories. LOL! It seemed like a useful, if slightly daunting thing to do. So I've spent the last hour or so up in my studio rummaging around in boxes and drawers, taking inventory, trying to come up with an accurate picture of just what is up there. It's pretty bad, but not as bad as I had thought. I like the way Lee organizes her posts on the subject, so I'm going to loosely follow her format.

New projects started this week: none.

Ongoing projects:
My Tweets, a BOM hosted by Erin Russek. I'm a little behind on it, but not by much. This is July's block, and she hasn't posted August's yet. There is still quite a bit to do on this one though, and the new block is expected on Friday. The Rose Log Cabin is making good progress. I have the last ten of the green and cream squares started, and then there are 16 more rose blocks to do before this can be put together. Considering I only started it back in July, that's not bad.
                                 

Ongoing Leaders and Ender Quilts:

-16 patch and pinwheels. This one, if I make it exactly like the pattern, needs almost 400 4 patch squares. I'm up to almost 300 of them. It will shortly be time to move it into the active list.
-Beach Cottage from the Scrap Sensations book

Top being quilted:

Shakespeare in the Park

Tops waiting for quilting:

Round Robin in the Window
Spring Swap
Peas in a Pod
Double Duty
Dot to dot mystery quilt
Burning the Midnight Oil BOM
 Pieceful Kwilter BOM
Orphan blocks
Buckeye Beauty. These last 2 are older than my blog, so I don't have pictures of them.

Tops waiting for binding: 4

Active UFO's: I'm not going to do any more links with these. Most are listed over in the labels, if anyone is interested.

Double Wedding Ring
Cactus Rose
Roll, Roll Cotton Boll
Log Cabin Sampler
Endless Chain
Disappearing Nine Patch
100 block challenge squares

Nearly Dead UFO's these all pre-date this blog, so there aren't pictures of them.
Cosmati Stars
Double sided quilt as you go. The blocks are all done, and just need to be sewn together.
Pansies and Butterflies. This might end up as a table topper, so it might get added to the pile that needs to be quilted.
Hand pieced and Quilted compasses
Antique Rose Sampler. This one needs to have a lot of applique done on the borders.
In Bloom
Baltimore Applique. I have a lot of applique squares, of various sizes that need to go into a quilt. But I've had difficulty with a layout for them, so they sit in a box.
Stained Glass squares
Jacob's ladder.

Wow, that's quite the list, but it has been an extremely helpful and eye opening exercise.

There have also been so far this year,  8 complete finishes. That adds up to one per month, which is encouraging. So, now that I've spent a fair amount of time composing these lists, I can make an effort to finish some of these things, and keep track of where I have been, and where I am going. I would like to be able to say, and mean it, that I'll get one UFO a month done, but I know that isn't realistic. So instead, I'll do a current project and a UFO at the same time. I think I'll get back at Roll roll cotton boll, and see where I can get with it, also while working on the current project. I think I'm going to dedicate wednesdays, if I don't have to work, to UFO's. S, after I finish this extremely lengthy post, I'm off to drag out RRCB's box.

7 comments:

  1. I'm always excited to see other blogging quilters from Ontario! Welcome to WIP Wednesday. You are absolutely right, it really is an eye opener. I actually use it to help keep me in line. I see so many projects that I just want to jump in and start that I don't always finish what I've already started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be just too daunting an undertaking for me. LOL!! But I've been seeing a lot of WIP posts on Wednesdays too. I enjoy seeing what others are doing, anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a list of ones you are waiting to start? Where does the secret batman quilt fit in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used WIP Wednesday's to keep account of where I'm at, and make me try and work on some of my WIP's to finish them. So far it's working.
    You have quite a sizeable list there, I'm sure you'll make a dent in it by the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have taken the first step in getting yourself geared up to finish off your projects. I honestly hope my UFO list doesn't grow so big because quilting would start to feel like a burden to me instead of a pleasurable activity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am amazed at the number of gorgeous finished quilts on your blog - so don't be too hard on yourself about the UFOs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sound so much like me :)
    It is very brave of you to post your list!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.