Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Monday 8 August 2011

Design Wall Monday August 8


There isn't anything new on my wall this week. The Rose Log Cabin blocks look exactly the same as last week. they have been on the design wall, 2 flannel backed vinyl tablecloths, with the bottom of the cloths brought up over top of them to protect the blocks. We've been laying laminate flooring in that room, so we needed to protect them against all the dust from cutting. I have been working on machine quilting, though, on Shakespeare in the Park. I have never been able to do feathers properly. they always looks weird, kind of like limp cigars. But I suddenly this week had a sort of epiphany, and suddenly figured out how to do them, and I am loving what I am seeing. I'm using a Rainbows thread called Zebra, and it's shades of pale grey to black . There is a spiral feather in the snail's trail block, and I'm continuous curving all the stars. And then I'm continuing the feathers into the background of the large stars, with the hope that it will continue the overall motion in the quilt. I haven't got enough of it done to know whether it will do that or not. So, for the next 2 days, I'm going to work on this. When my legs and back get tired from standing at the longarm, I'm going to sit and piece on the log cabin squares. In between, of course is boring mundane things like laundry and meals.
If you have a few minutes, and want to see some fun stuff, head over to Judy's Patchwork Times to explore more design walls. 

4 comments:

  1. Way to go on figuring out the feathers!! Cathy, what do you call that spiral looking block that's featured in the first photo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Limp cigars--LOL!! I know what you mean; Malcom Gladwell says you have to do something for 10,000 hours to get REALLY good at it. I think, for a successful quilt, you need to do at least a dozen before you can allow people to look close at them, 20 to start to feel good about them and then, mastering feathers will come along. You've hit the big time! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colors and quilting. This looks like a joy to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on mastering quilting feathers. Your quilt looks great!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.