Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Sunday 12 January 2014

Stash and Stitching report, week 2, 2014

Here it is again. The My Tweets block number 8. The only things left to stitch down on this one are the three yellow flower centers up on the top left. I will be finishing these up this afternoon, and then I can start on the next block. Depending on how much longer it takes to stitch those down, I might get the pattern pages for block nine taped together, and maybe the bias stems ready to start. I think I am going to approach the next block a little differently. My usual habit has been to prepare all the shapes and glue baste them down, before starting any of the stitching. This time I think I'll take it slower than that. It might make the task a little less overwhelming. I'll try it, anyway. It might give me a bit more of a boost to be able to more clearly see the progress on the block, as different elements are added. I'm finding it helpful, so far this year, to have kind of a loose schedule for doing things at a certain time, in this case, choosing to spend a certain amount of time on Sunday afternoons peacefully hand stitching. It is soothing and relaxing, and gives momentum to a long standing project that I really want to get done, since it has been on the go since the end of 2010.... yikes!!
My stash has seen a little more reduction, slowly working on various blocks and projects, and no additions. That might change by the end of the month, since there is a background fabric that I need for a new project. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this one before, but it's a block of the month, being posted by Mad About Patchwork, called Cathy's Carousel, not named after me, but the designer,  named Cathy Price, who designs blocks of the month for her guild, the Lanark County Quilters' Guild. It actually started 3 months ago, but I've printed off the instructions, so I won't lose them.The original plan was that Gail, who blogs as The Cozy Quilter, and I were going to work on it together, at the same time. However, I got a bit impatient, and really wanted to get started on it..... there's that startitis flaring up again...... so I started it yesterday during my sewing afternoon with Gail and Karen and Christine, over at Gail's house yesterday afternoon.
There are quite a few more strips to be added to the braid yet, but it is started. I think it might get set aside in its own little box, and become my take to Gail's project for the next undetermined period of time.

Used this week:                                1.8 yards
Used this year:                                   3.4 yards
Added this week:                               0 yards
Added this year:                                 0 yards
Balance:                                           3.4 more yards out than in.

I'm linking up to Judy's Stash Report and Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching.

6 comments:

  1. Great numbers two weeks in a row!! I am loving the colors of your My Tweets blocks -- so fun! And look at you, you overachiever!! Your braid looks fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your applique block is wonderful - I always think I would like to learn how to applique, but I think I am a little too impatient to try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tweets applique block is very pretty. I have yet to try such an elaborate block. I look forward to your next block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely appliqué
    Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear... you tempt me with this gorgeous project!
    So fun to see your Tweets again... and they must be happy to get a few more stitches :)
    Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.