Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Saturday 18 January 2014

Scraptastic Saturday

This is the third Saturday of the month, and time for another scrappy blues block. This is the one I designed up on graph paper and then in EQ7 based on the question, what would happen if I tried to combine 3 inch, 4 inch and 6 inch pinwheels. The answer, a very easy looking block that wasn't at all easy to put together. Turned out I had to do a couple of partial seams in order to get those small pinwheels onto the corners. But, it worked, and I'm happy with it. I might do up another one of these next weekend. I have all kinds of fun kid prints in various colours and sizes to use up. I think they'd be great in these blocks. I'm going to do some colour wheel play with all the colours that get chosen for these blocks. The month's colour will be the pinwheels, and the colour directly opposite the main colour on the wheel will go in the squares and the narrow borders. It will be fun to see what they look like as more of these blocks get added
I'm linking up to Scraphappy Saturday, where there are lots of other people playing the blues.

11 comments:

  1. Great looking pinwheels. So sorry about the set-in seams. Always a bummer to try to get it to work out just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting block! The complimentary colors always look great together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may have been a toughie to sew, but it's very eye-pleasing! The different sized pinwheels play really nicely together!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pinwheels. I don't have patchwork software, so I guess I'd be cutting up squared paper to assemble such a complicated quilt.
    It's a good idea to use the complementary colour in the block too. Thanks for the tip, I'll be trying it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice design of a block. There is a lot in it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute design - some blocks can be very deceiving with their complexity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A whole quilt of those would sure be cute.

    And now I know why I never design my own blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your block... What a great design!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this block looks hard. It's nice to accomplish a challenging block

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a really neat idea. It will be fun to watch your journey this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to give you credit for sticking with the planning process - I would have given up long before you bested the challenge!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.