Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Friday 24 January 2014

First finish of the year

 My Lazy Sunday Mystery quilt, designed by Bonnie Hunter and presented in 4 issues of Quiltmaker last spring and summer, is finished. Is it ever hard to get decent indoor pictures at this time of year. And at -13 C, there is no way I'm attempting outdoor photos, especially with the way the wind and the snow are blowing around out there. I'd be chasing the quilt around the neighbourhood if I tried it. The only place in the house that is big enough and light enough, is the front hallway. So I asked Matt if he minded if I came and borrowed his floor for a minute or two, which he was fine with, of course. Even then, it was a close fit.


It's kinda hard to see the detail of the quilting, but it's an over all free hand swirl. Lots of fun to do, and lots of texture on the surface of the quilt. It's such a scrappy and busy quilt that anything else would have gotten lost on it.









I added a 2 inch scrappy green border around the
quilt. I wanted to be able to do the faux piped
binding technique on the quilt, and without the
green border, all of the points of the pieced
borders would have gotten chopped off. After all the work on all that piecing, there's no way I wanted to lose all those points. Again, this isn't a very good picture, but if you click on it, you should be able to see the striped binding with the pink insert for the piping.
I'm linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it Friday, in order to celebrate this finish.

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Such a fun quilt. Glad you got it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful. It reminds me of summer with all of the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, it's lovely!!! Are you keeping it?! Have fun tonight!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy, you did a fabulous job. The added border with piping looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. woo-hoo on finishing. I just love that scrappy borders It's a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your quilt! The scrappy border and faux piped binding set it off really well - especially the diagonal stripes on the binding. I'm not sure I'll ever do one of Bonnie's mysteries, but I can enjoy them vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great finish - it looks even better in person!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.