Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Thursday 19 January 2012

UFO progress report


I've spent part of the last couple of days working on my UFO for January, the Endless Chain, pattern by Emilie Richards. I have made some good progress on it, considering it is all inset seams. I tried, without success, to figure out a way to do it without the inset seams. It was a good thing that I let this sit for a while, since in the time between starting it, and now, I leaned the technique of using starch and no melt plastic templates to finish the edges of applique pieces. And that technique has made the circles that go in the centre of the hexagons so much easier to do. And rather than using a regular foot to sew the circles on, and starting and stopping as I try to go around the circles, I used my free motion foot, with the feed dogs lowered, which made that job ever so much easier and faster, not to mention much less frustrating. There are now 3 rows, all sewn together, although I still need to add the partial blocks to the top and bottom of the middle row. And I have enough hexagon units which still need the circles applied, to add a fourth row. And that is today's job. I am so enjoying working on this quilt. I love the colours, and the movement in it. I love the way the individual blocks completely vanish, and leave one wondering, how on earth is this put together, which was one of the things that caused me to order the pattern book for it in the first place. This one is definitely a keeper at my house.

4 comments:

  1. What a great strip buster! It looks fun! Don't you love it when you figure out something that makes you wonder why you didn't think of it sooner???

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beauty, love the dark background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look fabulous - I can see why you want to keep it for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this! Too bad you are keeping it for yourself! ;)
    (That's okay - we have lots of quilts)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.