Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Sunday 11 November 2012

Stash Report, Nov. 11, 2012

 I'm working this afternoon. It's always a busy day at work, on Remembrance Day. For the Veterans that I work with, this is their day. It is actually bigger for them than any of the other special days of the year. All of them are up and out of bed today, dressed in their legion uniforms- with shirts, ties, and jackets or sweaters. Some of them wear their berets on their heads. Some of them have their medals. A small number of them from our unit go downtown to the cenotaph for the services there, but most of them are too frail to go out. So the honours come to them. We gather them into one of the larger lounges and they watch the local service on TV. Some of them sing along to the old songs, some of them weep while watching the service and hearing the music, as the memories return. Then they are honoured with an afternoon tea/lunch of cake and other goodies. I think I can honestly say that this is the first time in all the years that I have been working with them, that I have looked at it other than a day with a whole lot of extra work and hassle. But we were talking about it at work last night, and one of the ladies I was working with was talking about it from this perspective - of honouring them as Veterans. And it hit me like a brick on the side of the head that she was right. It isn't about the extra work, or the shortage of staff. Not today. Today we honour them for the fight they fought for us, and the horrors they endured, and the strength they had to survive. I am blessed to be able to serve them, and I pray that God will continue to give me the strength and patience and love needed to do His service to them, not only today, but for the rest of my days working for them.

I've been doing some hand stitching, but It's been on Laurie's stocking, so I can't show a picture of it. I've also been using stash, working on Jack's Celebrations quilt.

Used this week:                            2.4 yards
Used this year:                          111.7 yards
Added this week:                            0 yards
Added this year:                         159.5. yards
Balance:                                        47.8 more yards in than out.

I'm linking up to Judy's Patchwork Times Stash report.

3 comments:

  1. I like your post. I am so glad you do something special for the Veterans that you look after. Today is a day where they hopefully feel respected and appreciated (which I don't think many people feel as they age and go frail). Please tell them thank you from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So endearing to hear of the honor paid to your veterans. My husband and I were so close today to where the French president was for the formal ceremony but just didn't realize it. Hopefully we will make it next year. It is a uniting point in our world that feels all too divided.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Thank you for your special attention to those who've done so much for freedom and country!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.