Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Monday 19 November 2012

Design Wall Monday, Nov. 19, 2012

I have lots to show today. Some of it from the Quilt til you wilt day on Saturday, and more from what I managed to get done yesterday.
The first thing I did on Saturday was finish sewing Jack's quilt together.
This quilt is just so much fun. It is another pattern by Judy Martin, from her book Scraps and the pattern is called "Celebration" It was supposed to have some borders put on of the checkerboard and a single row of the 3 inch novelty squares, but I decided that I like it just as it is. Here's a close up of some of the really fun fabrics.


















After finishing putting Jack's quilt together, I got a start on Nathan's. It too is a Judy Martin pattern, from her book Patchwork Among Friends.  The pattern is called Friends Forever. I've changed it out a fair bit. The pattern showed the center of the stars being the same fabric as the points, and it is lovely that way. But I wanted to be able to make it more kid friendly, so I used some 6 inch charms of novelty fabrics that I had. That also then involved changing up the sizes of all the pieces, but that's OK, too.
There are 7 more blocks to make yet. I have them cut out, and just need to sew them together. The remaining colours will break up all those darks that are currently all together at the bottom. All the empty spaces around the edge will get filled in with more 6 x 3.25 inch rectangles, leftovers from cutting the rest of the quilt. Here's the rest of the colours waiting to be sewn up.

There will definitely be some rearranging of the layout once they are all done and up and the wall.
And finally, I spent most of yesterday putting together a backing for Jack's quilt.
I have all kind of fat quarters of those fish themed fabrics. I've never been quite sure what to do with them as they are way to cute and fun to cut up. So I've decided to use them in backings. And I threw in the pieces that I'd originally made for one of the borders that I decided not to put on. All in all, a very productive weekend.
I'm linking up to Judy's Patchwork Times where there are lots of other fun walls to look at and get inspired by.

7 comments:

  1. Great projects! I especially like the layout of your Friends Forever quilt and how you started with the novelty charms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much on the go. I really like Jack's quilt. I have been in love with squares lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to look closely at "patchwork among friends" to figure out how the blocks are put together. Very clever! And a good setting for I Spy novelties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love that "Friends Forever".

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH my goodness you have been really busy having quilting adventures! Love the Friends Forever pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always have the most fun projects on your wall -- even with a whole re-design/remodeling thing going on and a house to pack up! How do you do it??!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.