Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Monday 10 January 2011

Design Wall Monday Week 2


I just looked at the design wall posts at Patchwork Times and the are already 71 different walls posted. WOW! These are really taking off this year. Tons and tons of eye candy and inspiration. What a lovely way to spend the time over a cup of coffee or 2 while my brain engines try to get into gear. I managed to get all the alternate blocks for the Card trick quilt, UFO #6 done last week, and they are on the wall .My job today, once my brain has cleared, is to figure out the math for the setting triangles. Both EQ5 and Quilt Pro programs show the setting triangles as partial blocks, and the are showing half square triangle units and quarter square triangle units made of the same fabrics. Somehow, that seems like a silly thing to do. So, I want to convert them over to squares and rectangles, which is where the math comes in. Subtract 7/8 inch from measurement given, to find finished size, then add half inch to get cut size, for the half squares. For the quarter squares, subtract 1 1/4 inch from given size to find finished size, ad then add half inch. It's one thing to know the formula, it's another to actually get it to work out.
The other thing on my wall today is the setting I am planning on using for the blocks for the 100 block challenge The idea for this setting came from a book by Judy Martin called "The Block Book" I need six of these to make a twin sized quilt, before borders, so I'm over halfway there with the 12 inch blocks. The nine patches are being done as leaders and enders. Today, I hope to get my next 2 challenge blocks done, and get the setting triangles at least started. But first, another cup of coffee, and some more wall browsing.

10 comments:

  1. The card tricks UFO looks great. I am also surprised at how many design walls are posted. It's great. I wonder if it tapers off as the year progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, I love the card trick quilt! What fun! Enjoy that cuppa, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Setting for the card trick is awesome. We are so lucky to be able to have so many shades of one color to work with. The setting the the 100 blocks is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so pretty. I love everything about it blues, stars and card tricks.I think I feel a quilt like this in my future!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...you have your block setting all figured out?!? I haven't even started to sew my blocks yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have two great looking projects on your design wall. Absolutly love the card trick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the card trick w/star blocks! whew too much math for me! you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your 100 Block Challenge blocks. And the setting looks complicated but really nice. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Intersting setting for your 100 block challenge, looking forward to seeing that quilt completed.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.