Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Sunday 18 August 2013

Stash report and Sunday almost stitching.

What an absolutely gorgeous summer day today has been. I think we've had maybe 3 or 4 days like this so far this year, and that's it. A perfect day to spend most of it outdoors in the yard. So, I grabbed my ironing board, and my mini iron, and a bunch of shapes for My Tweets, and starched and pressed under the edges. The ironing board was too high, even on its lowest setting, for sitting in the lawn chair, so I stretched it across the arms of a couple of spare chairs. I've spent most of the day out here, and this is what I've ended up with.
Block nine of My Tweets, almost fully prepped and glue basted. There is a smaller set of petals to go on top of the dark pink one in the middle at the top of the piece, and then all the flower center circles, the birds' top knots and beaks. This will keep me happily hand stitching for weeks. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy this process.
This isn't the only thing I've been up to, though. Remember how I said I didn't want to start anything new, that I wanted to finish a few more things? We all knew that wasn't going to last. I really wanted to do the Road to Brenham quilt along, so I started that. But, it really isn't that big of a time commitment. Judy gives really small bits at a time to work on. These are my bits, so far. I'm caught up, and waiting for tomorrow's instructions. I'll be canning tomatoes tomorrow, so I figure I can sew while the jars are in the water bath canner for the 85 minutes needed to process them.
 And then, just because I've been watching these, mostly Kathy's, (it's all her fault for making hers so cute), I decided to give myself a sewing day for my birthday last week, and I put together the ginger bread men for the Deck-ade the Halls Quilt Along. So much for not starting any new projects. LOL!!

What this means, though, is that there has been a bit of a stash reduction. Not a lot, since none of these things, by themselves amounts to much, but it's better than adding to it, so I'm told. At least, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Now, come next week might be another story altogether, since Gail is hosting another fabric party on Thursday.

Used this week:                           2.3 yards
Used this year:                              94 yards
Added this week:                            0 yards
Added this year:                          160.75 yards
Balance:                                             66.75 more yards in than out.

I'm linking up with Judy's Stash Report and Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching and also, on Tuesday when it goes up, I'll link up to A Quilting Readers' Garden.


3 comments:

  1. What a great post! So happy to see your adorable gingerpeople! And your applique block is amazing! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it when the day is perfect for stitching outdoors and it looks like you really got a lot done.

    the applique block is beautiful~!

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your applique block is beautiful and I'm impressed with your "prep station" you created outside. That's my kind of work space. If you like applique, be sure to take a look at my blog later this week for a beautiful applique quilt. I showed some of the back today to tease folks.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.