Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Monday 12 March 2012

Design Wall Monday March 12, 2012


I've been a busy little girl the last few days. I finished quilting the 30's broken pinwheel quilt for Christine. I finished the 4 New York Beauty blocks, And I finished the center of the new sampler quilt I started. And then, I got 2 out of 4 borders onto the Gratitude quilt, designed by Judy Laquidara. WOOHOO!!!
This is the center square for  Aunt Lucy's Medallion, a pattern designed by Lori Smith. When I first saw the pattern, i had no idea that it was smaller than I thought. The whole quilt finished at 55 inches square. This center section is 18 inches square. The pieces are small. But, the instructions with the pattern are quite good, and it went together quite smoothly. I'm using some of the fabric that came in the mail last week for this one, plus a few from stash as well. The next round of square for this finish at 3 inches, and are fairly basic shapes. so they should go together fairly quickly. And, since it isn't going to be big enough at 55 inches square for the bed quilts I like to make, I can use the opportunity to put Judy's Borders book to work.
These are the finished New York Beauty  blocks, from the sew along, using the March colour challenge palette.  I'm not going to sew them together until they are all done. I think I want to mix them all up, once the complete set of blocks is finished.
 And this is the quilt "Gratitude" from Judy Laquidara's book Weekend Quilts. It needs 2 more borders on it, and then I can call it done. I have 2 quilts for customers that need to be finished before the beginning of April, as well as my March UFO, so those are going to be my focus for the rest of the week. But since I usually need to sit after a couple of hours standing at the long arm, I can use that time to maybe get the last 2 borders sewn on. Also, I am going to try to get some of the squares for the sampler done each week, for the next little while, plus the New York Beauties that come out each week. Lots of fun fabric fun to be had here at my house. I'll post some progress reports as I go through the week, and hopefully have something that I can call finished by the end of the week.
I'm linking up to the design wall Monday posts at Judy's Patchwork Times. Judy has a lovely quilt up on her wall using the March colour palette. Go take a peek, if you have a few minutes, and browse through the other design walls, as well.

7 comments:

  1. You are a busy bee. Love the Lori Smith medallion. Her patterns are all so great. I am tempted to do the NYB quilt along. Yours turned out so neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No boredom going on in your sewing room - lots of variety with plenty of projects to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You really have been full-steam-ahead, haven't you?! Everything always looks so pretty on your design wall ... especially that New York Beauty block!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blocks & the Gratitude quilt. You have been busy. The NY Beauty blocks are really eye catching, can't wait to see that project together. You might want to take another look at the upper right hand side of the gratitude quilt. It looks like that one piece is backwards....ugh, I'm sorry.I guess I'd want to know before quilting it, hope you feel the same.
    Jen
    AK

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all just beautiful! And I really love your Gratitude quilt. Fantastic color choices! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! That medallion block is just awesome!
    And I love your NYBs. What a great idea combining both challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the one that looks like a sun! So neat!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.