Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Sunday 29 December 2013

Stash report, week 52, 2013

The last stash report of the year. A time for reflection and comparisons on years past, and plans for the year to come. That sounded rather profound, didn't it?

Used this week:                         .8 yards
Used this year:                       125.95 yards
Added this week:                     0 yards
Added this year:                    180.55 yards
Balance:                                   54.6 more yards in than out.

I've been keeping track of the stash for 3 full years now, and it is kinda fun to compare from year to year.

                           2011                                            2012                                       2013
Used                  154 yards                                  130.8 yards                           125.95 yards
Added               162.5 yards                                164.75 yards                        180.55 yards
Balance          + 8.5 yards                                  +33.95 yards                        +54.6 yards

So, it would seem that my usage numbers are going down, while my added numbers are going up. However, the overall goal for the next year, is to use what I have. The exception to that will be, if I need background fabric for a specific quilt that can't be done with amounts I have on hand. The other exception will be for sales that are too good to pass up in order to refresh elements of the stash. I'm not going to make a firm no other buying commitment, because quilting is something I love, and I don't want to take any of the joy or fun from it by putting unrealistic expectations on it. But, I do know that, since both my husband and I are retired, the amount of cash I have for fabric has gone down, so I will have to be very careful and thoughtful about what I do buy. All of the quilts that I have listed in my side bar for wanting to do this year, can mostly be done from stash. And, I have so far resisted all of the very tempting year end sales of fabric. So, that means, I'll start off the New Year with a negative balance.
And now, I'm going to link this up to Judy's Stash Report, and then I have stuff for Avery for Christmas that I have to finish. And, considering they are coming today.... yippee!..... I had better get a move on.

1 comment:

  1. Cathy, you do a GREAT job of using what your purchase ... I'm *very* impressed!!!! I hope you've enjoyed a very happy time with Avery!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.