Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Wednesday 1 February 2012

January UFO status........


I DID IT!!! Woohoo, yippee, hurrah...... With ten hours to spare before the end of January 31st, Endless Chain became a finished flimsy on Tuesday. And, if I do say so myself, she is beautiful.I think, of all the UFO's I had listed, this was the one that was both the most challenging, and the most work. So, in theory, all the rest should be a lot easier. This month's number is 1, which on my list, is Bonnie Hunter's Roll Roll Cotton Boll. There is still a lot to do on it, but, unlike Endless Chain, there will be no set in "Y" seams. Each and every one of the 81 hexagons in that quilt were done with set in seams. What on earth was I thinking? That makes finishing RRCB child's  play in comparison. I was going to substitute for an easier one, but on reconsidering, I thought it would be a good idea to get the intense ones out of the way before spring and summer, and spending lots of time outdoors, and going to various provincial parks. Although I have been known to take my sewing machine with me, on occasion, which causes my husband to just stand and shake his head at me. Anyway.......
Here's a close up of a section of the quilt, and a good shot of not only some of those "Y" seams, but also of the variety of the fabrics in this quilt. I love the little mouse face peeking out. It was a lot of fun to do, in spite of being so challenging. However, I don't think there will be another like it from me. According to past posts on my blog, this quilt was started in March of 2010, so it's taken 2 years to get it to this point. Granted, there was no work done it it during a large part of those 2 years. It feels so GOOD to have it done to this stage.
I'm linking up to Patchwork Times, and the linky party that Judy is hosting for those of us who met our goal of finishing our January UFOs. And this also means that I also have something to enter for the Finish it up Friday  hosted by AmandaJean at Crazy Mom Quilts. Oh, one more thing, if anyone has any suggestions on how to quilt this thing, I would be very grateful because at the moment I am totally stumped.

18 comments:

  1. Your Y seams are wonderful - mine always have pleats or holes in them! (Looking forward to your RRCB as mine turned out fabulously!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, Cathy, this is a terrific finish!! And congrats for getting done!! YAY!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks great! it seems like this is one of those quilts that we LOVE when it's done, but all the while we're doing it, we're thinking "what was i thinking?!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Endless Chain - sounds like is was an appropriate name for the amount of time it took. But what a reward. It is spectacular. Congratulations on finishing in in January. Your rock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful finish! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impressive! Cheers to you for all those set-in seams!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're a braver woman than I am - Y seams scare me, and I avoid any quilts that "might" have them.... ;-)
    You quilt is amazing! You have every reason to be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This quilt top is gorgeous!!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this quilt! Good job on finishing your January UFO!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations - it is really gorgeous! I can't wait to see it all quilted - definitely a keeper!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. From the pictures, your y seams are perfect. Love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job. Good to see the top done. You asked about the quilting. Do you quilt in a Long arm or domestic machine?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sure looks like a challenging quilt! Congrats on a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. An absolutely beautiful finish - that would have been a big challenge for me. Whewww, aren't you glad to have it finished? Judy C

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness
    What a beauty.......
    it doesn't even look scrappy until you showed a close up!
    Yeah RRCB is gonna be a picnic compared to this one.....hey why not make two!

    Happy sewing

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a stunning quilt. My UFO was my easiest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. woot, woot! your flimsie is stunning! good job on it!!!

    thanks for linking up to finish it up Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is such an amazing accomplishment...must feel great to get to this stage!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.