Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Sunday 25 June 2017

Slow Sunday Stitching

Slow stitching is happening today, and lots of it. It’s a lazy, lazy day today, with not much happening. I had though we were having family over to visit, but it turns out that what I thought was a definite statement that they were going to be here was just a maybe we can try to come over. That wasn’t their fault, it was my fault for misreading it. So, what’s a quilter to do when presented with a free and clear day....... quilt.
A couple of weeks ago I started making a braid out of some 2 1/4 inch half hexagons. I had no idea at the time, what I was going to do with it, other than I liked the way it looked. I did some research and some image searches on the internet to see if I could find something that inspired me for arranging long lengths of braids. Nothing really spoke to me. But, after showing the picture on Facebook, I had numerous comments that it would make a great border. Hmmmmm..... so it would, but a border for what? Well, I saw a picture of some hexagons made of half hexagons, and I decided “that’s it!”. So, in keeping with the using up 2 1/2 inch scrap strips, I’m pairing 4 light and four dark half hexagons for the beginning of what will be a scrappy creation, I hope. The 2 1/4 inch side of the half hexagon actually goes into the centre, so these pieced hexagons are large, the outside edges being 4 5/8 inches.

The other project I’m hand stitching is Leo’s Mane. I have 2 more of the yellow and purple stars to do  and 5 more of the diamond units to do and then I can start sewing it together. It’s been a lot of fun, and I’m itching to start something else, also using those kits shapes that form the stars.

I’m linking up to Kathy’s Slow Sunday Stitching and then I’m going back to more stitching. Kathy has a picture in her post today that says “Beautiful things come together one stitch at a time”. So very very true.



2 comments:

  1. It's getting close to being done! Lazy day here too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that scrappy braid, but I REALLY love those half-hexagon hexagons! Can't wait to see how they come together with that border!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.