Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Wednesday 21 June 2017

A most relaxing holiday...

We had the opportunity last week to spend five days, from Wednesday to Monday, camping in the wilds of Algonquin Park. There were plans for hikes and lots of sitting outside enjoying warm sunny days. What we planned and what happened were totally different. We had a few lovely sunny days, deceptively inviting. What we didn’t anticipate was, according to the people who live in the area, the worst year for black flies that anyone could remember. It’s been a cold and very wet spring, perfect breeding weather for the tiny little beasties. There were swarms of them!! So, we spent a lot of time in the trailer, with the windows  open, enjoying the setting from inside the trailer. Any time outside was spent getting to and from the car as quickly as possible. We stopped at a beautiful spot for some quick pictures, and I mean quick.
This beautiful spot was just down the road from our campground.

So, instead of walks and hikes, there was stitching and reading and sleeping and listening to audiobooks happening. I got a bunch more half hexagons sewn to my braid. It’s about 48 inches long now. I have no idea how long they are going to end up, nor how many I will make, nor what it will end up being. But it’s using up 2 1/2 inch strips and scraps, so it’s a good thing.

I also got lots more done on Leo’s Mane. Just one more of these units to make and it will start to go together. All those little diamonds are a bit time consuming, but that’s not a bad thing when stuck in a trailer.

Oh, and did I mention that it also poured down rain all day Saturday and all day Sunday? Yep, it did. It cleared up in time for us to come home Monday. Except, as soon as we arrived in the city and headed to where we store our trailer, the clouds opened and it poured again, just long enough for us to get drenched while unhooking and unloading the trailer. Thankfully, it stopped once we got home so that we could unload the car. Sometimes I wonder why we bother with this camping thing. But then, every now and then, we get glorious weather and it is all worth it.
I’m linking up to Lorna’s Let’s Bee Social, before settling down to do some more stitching.





4 comments:

  1. Ah the joys camping! Good thing you brought some sewing to work on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way back, starting in college days, we had a group campout every year. Someone's tent would get washed out (set up in a gully) and we always set up at least one large tent, for rain days, with a card table and chairs, to play games, etc. 35+ years later, they still have the camp out each year, but, the older ones now have campers, and there are kids and grand kids that also come. They have about 60+ on Saturday night, for the annual fish fry. I haven't been in years, since it is over 1200 miles away (we moved). My brother is one of the people who run it. My kids have fond memories of going. It's the memories, not the weather, tho the weather can contribute to some of the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had a productive trip despite the little bugs.
    I'm a little concerned for my pending camping trip: The Adirondack Mts have been wet as well and the black flies can be miserable in a dry year...they are bound to be worse in a wet year. I best stock up on lots of bug spray and citronella candles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry that your anticipated holiday turned into such a bust... But, you got away from the city, and the phone, and other not-so-wonderful things!
    Love making half-hexagon braids - I have a red, black and white one cut and ready to sew - as soon as I get my sewing machine situation sorted out - my trusty 16 year-old machine died and is apparently unfixable... Good thing I have knitting to work on!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.