Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Monday 29 October 2012

Design Wall Monday, Oct. 29, 2012

It is dark and gloomy and cold and wet here today. We are currently feeling the outer bands of the hurricane. We've been out today and stocked up on water, candles, lamp oil and firewood, just in case something in the infrastructure around us goes down. One of the things they have been predicting is extra high waves on the south side of the Great Lakes. Our water supply for this city comes from a pumping station at the south end of Lake Huron, so we thought stocking up on some water would be a good idea. It is definitely a good day for staying indoors.
I have a finish on my design wall today. Think Inside the Box is finished. I really wanted to make this bigger. It's measuring 56x72 at the moment, and I had hoped to get it more into the twin bed size. But no matter what I tried to do, the quilt wouldn't let me. It is quite loudly shouting that it is finished and that adding anything else would ruin it. So, I'm listening
to it.
I've also finished the backing for it. I had 8 of the grass or seaweed in water type fat quarters in my stash, and have never been able to quite figure out what to do with them. I decided to combine them with some water with bubbles fabric and came up with this as a backing. This makes 2 grandson quilts done, 2 to go, before Christmas.
I'm linking up to Judy's Patchwork Times Design Wall Monday post. There is lots of fun stuff to see there.

7 comments:

  1. TITB is wonderful! And I agree: when a quilt says finis, you'd better stop there or you won't be happy. When people ask how big I make my quilts I say that I begin at the beginning and end at the end. (To analyze, I think that with experience we learn what makes a design look balanced--we can tell by eye if there are enough blocks, if the sashes and borders are wide enough, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quilt is so cute. Your "new" grandson will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt is just gorgeous! It looks like it was a lot of work, but the effect is well worth it :*)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at the great finish. Glad I did not miss this today. Looks GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning finish. Your pieced backing is very clever too. Your grandson will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy, oh my gosh I love Think Inside the Box!!! This would make a really fun I Spy quilt, don't you think? Could you use different swatches inside each of the three box openings? Or would it change the look too much to work? Great job, great job!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree - the quilt is finished - and it's STUNNING! The border sets it off really well! I'm glad that you were feeling well enough to complete it.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.